Welcome to the Fort Wayne Alumni & Friends Resource Center online home, where you can remember, relive and reconnect.

Engage

Relive and contribute your moments on the Fort Wayne campus.

Show me more

Connect

Find your friends and share your stories.

Connect me now

Support

You can make a difference with your time and resources.

Tell me how

Timeline

click image to expand
1895 – Bethany Bible Institute founded by B.P. Lugibihl in Bluffton, OH. The Rev. J. E. Ramseyer was the first principal.
click image to expand
1904 Summer – The Missionary Church Association appointed a committee to search for a new location for the school.
click image to expand
1904 – Construction begins in Fort Wayne on Administration Building (later named Schultz Hall) at the corner of W. Rudisill Boulevard (Richardsonville Pike) and S. Wayne Ave, some of which was yet to be developed.
click image to expand
1905 January 13 – Fort Wayne Bible Training School opens.
1905 February 16 – Rev. D. Y. Schultz, superintendent (1904-1911) dedicated the Administration Building.
click image to expand
1909 – First Commencement – 26 graduates
1911 – Rev. J.E. Ramseyer named President. He served continually until 1944.
click image to expand
1930 – Bethany Hall built to house students and offices for $65,000
1931 – Name changed to Fort Wayne Bible Institute
 
1937 – Correspondence Department established, Rev. Loyal Ringenberg first director.
 
1940 – First "Youth Conference" held.
click image to expand
1942 – Founders Hall, corner of W. Rudisill Boulevard and Indiana Avenue built for $110,000
 
1944 January 27 – Funeral for J.E. Ramseyer
1944 – Rev. Jonas Ringenberg appointed Acting President
1945 - Dr. Safara Witmer named President, Fort Wayne Bible Institute.
click image to expand
1945 – Providence Hall was constructed for $25,000
click image to expand
1946 – Initial South Campus purchased for $60,000 – payable over six years from William Wiebke
click image to expand
1948 – Residence Hall constructed
click image to expand
1948 – FWBI, one of 18 Charter Members of the Accrediting Association of Bible Institutes and Bible Colleges
click image to expand
1950 – Name changed to Fort Wayne Bible College
1953 – Intercollegiate athletics began – Oswald Morley became the first coach. The first two games were against Moody Bible Institute.
click image to expand
1954 – Leightner Hall purchased, NW corner of W. Rudisill Boulevard and Indiana Avenue.
1958 – Dr. Jared F. Gerig started his tenure as President (1958-1971).
click image to expand
1960 – Brown Gables purchased for President's residence, $32,000.
click image to expand
1960 – Joy Gerig was named the first full-time Christian Service Director at FWBC.
click image to expand
1961 — Lehman Library dedicated ($300,000); It was the first building on the south campus.
click image to expand
1965 – Lexington Hall (renamed Hausser Hall in 1994) dorm for women opened
click image to expand
1965 – The Singing Collegians debut. Starting in the 1965-66 academic year and continued until 1974.
click image to expand
1966 – Wiebke House, built in 1882, remodeled as a men's dormitory.
click image to expand
1970 – Witmer Hall completed, significantly expanding classrooms and administrative office space.
 
1970 – Correspondence Department adds Judson College correspondence program. Rev. Cyril Eicher appointed first full-time director.
1970 – Dr. Timothy Warner becomes President (1970-1980)
 
1974 – Campus yearbook, "The Light Tower" (began in 1928) changed name to "The Vine."
1976 – WBCL radio station established as first 50,000 watt FM station in northern Indiana.
click image to expand
1976 – Men's basketball team wins National NCCAA Championship with Coach Stephen Morley.
1980 – Dr. Harvey Bostrom appointed President (1980-1986).
click image to expand
1982 – New Physical Plant built to replace burned maintenance building. It was named in honor of Eddie Reynolds, former long-term director of maintenance and a friend to all.
click image to expand
1982 – First Alumni Scholarship Phonathon raised $18,000.
 
1985 – Accreditation granted by North Central Association.
click image to expand
1985 – Volleyball team goes 26-1 for best overall record in school history.
1986 – Dr. Donald Gerig named President (1986 – 1992).
click image to expand
1989 – Name changed to Summit Christian College.
click image to expand
1989 – Gerig Activities Center dedicated.
click image to expand
1992 – On July 1, Summit Christian College becomes Taylor University Fort Wayne through merger/acquisition.
1993 – Dr. Bob Nienhuis appointed Vice President of Fort Wayne campus (1993-1998).
 
1993 – Two new majors were added to the curriculum. Criminal Justice and Public Relations.
1997 – Samuel Morris Scholarship Program established by the Lilly Foundation to assist Indiana students who otherwise could not attend college.
1997 – New Professional Writing major introduced under the direction of Dr. Dennis Hensley.
 
1998 – Alumni Scholarship Endowment Fund reaches $440,000.
1998 – Dr. Daryl Yost appointed Chief Executive Officer of Fort Wayne campus (1998-2003).
click image to expand
2001 – Eicher Student Commons built
click image to expand
2003 – Calvin H. English Library built
click image to expand
2003 – Lady Falcons Basketball team went 23-3 and finished fifth in the national USCAC tournament.
click image to expand
2004 – Lillian Rolf House purchased and used as dorm for women.
click image to expand
2005 – Schultz Hall burns on October 8.
click image to expand
2006 – Ramseyer Hall opens for 52 men in 12 suites replacing Schultz Hall.
click image to expand
2006 – Men's Basketball team wins USCAA – Div II National Championship with Coach Bud Hamilton.
2006 – Dr. Duane L. Kilty named Chancellor (2006-2008).
 
2008 October – Taylor University Board of Trustees announced decision to discontinue the undergraduate program at TUFW.
click image to expand
2009 – Final Fort Wayne Commencement with 92 graduates.
2009 – Fort Wayne Alumni & Friends Resource Center established in Brown Gables with Michael Mortensen named as the director.
click image to expand
2010 – Resource Center moves to Lillian Rolf House, 915 W Rudisill Blvd
2015 - Name of Fort Wayne Alumni and Friends Resource Center changed to Fort Wayne Alumni Center

1895 – Bethany Bible Institute founded by B.P. Lugibihl. The Rev. J. E. Ramseyer was the first principal.

1904 Summer – The Missionary Church Association appointed a committee to search for a new location for the school.

1904 – Construction begins in Fort Wayne on Administration Building (later named Schultz Hall).

1905 January 13 – Fort Wayne bible Training School opens.

1909 – First Commencement – 26 graduates

1930 – Bethany Hall built for $65,000

1942 – Founders Hall built for 110,000

1945 – Providence Hall was constructed for $25,000

1946 – Initial South Campus purchased for $60,000 – payable over six years from William Wiebke

1948 – Residence Hall constructed

1948 – FWBI, one of 18 Charter Members of the Accrediting Association of Bible Institutes and Bible Colleges

1950 – Name changed to Fort Wayne Bible College

1954 – Leightner Hall purchased

1960 – Brown Gables purchased for President's residence ($32,000).

1960 – Joy Gerig was named the first full-time Christian Service Director at FWBC.

1961 -- Lehman Library dedicated ($300,000).

1965 – Lexington (Hausser) Dorm opened

1966 – The Singing Collegians debut. Starting in the 1966 academic year and continued until 1974.

1966 – Wiebke House, built in 1882, remodeled as a men's dormitory.

1970 – Witmer Hall completed.

1976 – Men's basketball team wins National NCCAA Championship with Coach Stephen Morley.

1982 – New Physical Plant built to replace burned maintenance building. It was named in honor of Eddie Reynolds.

1982 – First Alumni Scholarship Phonathon raised $18,000.

1985 – Volleyball team goes 26-1 for best overall record in school history.

1989 – Name changed to Summit Christian College.

1989 – Gerig Activities Center dedicated.

1991 – Summit Christian College becomes Taylor University Fort Wayne through merger/acquisition.

2001 – Eicher Student Commons built

2003 – Calvin H. English Library built

2003 – Lady Falcons Basketball team went 23-3 and finished fifth in the national USCAC tournament.

2004 – Lillian Rolf House purchased. This will be the new Fort Wayne Alumni & Friends Resource Center as of June 1, 2010.

2005 – Schultz Hall burns on October 8.

2006 – Ramseyer Hall opens for 52 men in 12 suites replacing Schultz Hall.

2006 – Men's Basketball team wins USCAA – Div II National Championship with Coach Bud Hamilton.

2009 – Final Fort Wayne Commencement with 92 graduates.

2010 – Resource Center moves to Lillian Rolf House, 915 W Rudisill Blvd

© 2010-2017  Fort Wayne Alumni Center   915 W. Rudisill Blvd., Fort Wayne, IN 46807   260.744.8790
A service of Taylor University